Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Green is My Favorite Color


Colleen, is an Irish name, which means ‘girl, lass or maid’, even though the family isn’t native to Ireland. It’s pronounced ‘Calling’ in the east&
‘Coal-een’ in the West. Grandpa Crane wanted to call me Goldeen, but Mom wouldn’t hear of it. They had such a disagreement about it that my Grandfather Park performed the blessing pronouncing my name. Eventually, Dad came around, which I’m glad of because Goldeen wouldn’t have been my choice either.

Growing up there were two other Colleens to compete with, both very fun and friendly. Once we all decided to go by a nick name. I chose Cookie. It was fun to call one another by our new names. Our last names all described something: Crane, Nicols & Seal.

When I worked at Discover Card to phone people in the East, I would use the pronunciation ‘Calling’ and my usual name sound if I dialed other states. Find out what your name means, why your parents chose it & tell us what you think.

P.S. I love the color green, as it means spring is coming. Are you wearing it today?

No comments:

Post a Comment