Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Kick Back Kids Remembering Past Summers

As kids we roamed the fields of our grandparents farms. But when it came to doing our own chores, we complained like a wining horse. We lived on a small farm of seven acres. Our family had chickens to feed, horses, pigs, cows to milk, fields of hay to bale. Mom always had a big sprawling daily producing garden. It was our job to pick the cukes, beans, squash, tomatoes and such. This time of year we had to help bottle the extra produce. Like any child we would rather be playing. I loved roller skating, riding my Schwinn bike and wasting time watching TV.
Dad made a big A-frame swing set that had tire seats. We loved to swing in. We also had a rusty metal kiddie push-peddle car to drive around. When I spied this car show model, it reminded me of those days when time stood still.
My grandkids have had the bright plastic red and yellow car I bought a few years ago at the DI. It is a kid magnet, as the little ones climb in, out and over it. Their time stands still now and ours races down the track like that old horse. We are still wining.

No comments:

Post a Comment