Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Plaid Jacket

When my Grandmother was still alive, she asked me to make her a jacket with some pretty red and blue plaid polyester fabric she had purchased.  I remember doing my best to make it just the way Grandma wanted it, because I always wanted to please her.  Giving it to her on a special occassion, she treasured it and wore it often. 

When she passed away my mother loved it so much, she kept and began wearing it.  After more than thirty years later, it was a weekly part of her warddrobe.  I told her to get rid of it, because now the styles had changed and it was really dated.  She continued to wear the plaid jacket. 

When she died last year, the jacket was still in her closet.  Yes, I had to keep it, but haven't dared wear it.  What makes this piece of clothing so special?  Was it the love for another and time spent making it for her.  Does the jacket represent my grandmother and also my mother?   Is it holding on to the past and what was then?  It is hard to say.  After thirty some years, it has found a place in my heart and home, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment